Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dawning of a new era?

I've had an awakening- quite a shock yes, but regardless it is a good thing.
I was browsing youtube, as one does and came across a video rant, made by at the time what I thought was 'another scene kid'.
If you have the time to watch it, I strongly urge you do- it may actually change your opinions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSkq3inhA4

She had some ridiculous points, involving stereotypes loving one another and she did contradict herself by stereotyping, HOWEVER I respect a lot of her points. We really have no reason to hate 'scene kids'. Unlike most, she did not say they were unique- she said they were a movement which I failed to acknowledge a lot.
In my mind, 'emos' and 'scenes' were a group of people claiming to be unique and instead they conformed to a different mainstream entirely.

Like 'punks, goths' etc. It is a movement of people with similar interests and creative outlets; banding together to be respected, acknowledged and heard.
I mean, 'Punks' don't claim to be original, neither do 'Goths' which is why it never bothered me that yes, they do have a label.

I disliked 'scenes' because I felt they were giving the rest of us a bad reputation, those who are not 'scene' or 'emo' were and still are being acknowledged as it and it IS frustrating.
But 'scene' is a movement which deserves equal respect- so as of today I'm going to try harder to not shun someone because they are a 'conformity' and see them for a 'movement'.
All movements eventually die and fade back into society, but it is a symbolic era, which needs to be recognised as such.
'Punks' fought for their beliefs and rebelled the system, is that not what 'scenes' are attempting to do?

Sure, they all have the same style and greatly lack individuality- but the 'punks' all had the same style too. Who are we to criticise someone for standing up in their beliefs in the only way they know how?
Many voices, is more powerful than one- just look at the women who united to fight for their rights, or protesters getting their opinions heard about Iraq.

Maybe they won't change the world and perhaps in fifty years no one will care or remember what it was they were fighting for, but at least they are fighting for their right to be respected and heard, which is a damn lot more than what most people do.
So, we can sit here and hate on them for being part of an alternative mainstream, or for being who they are, or for being 'posers' out to tarnish the rest of our reputations- but really, who are we to judge?
Doesn't that make us just as bad?

Think about it. :)

* I'm not saying I hated 'emos' or 'scenes', I'm saying I disliked how the rest of us were labelled for their lack of individual flair. I still believe that while a lot of them claim to be unique- they are not. They are a part of a style, that is all.

No comments: